The boys and I finally finished both Sunwing and Firewing, by Kenneth Oppel. These are the sequels to Silverwing, which was the subject of my June 27th post. Goth, the evil Vampyrum, as well as his god, Cama Zotz, play prominent roles in both of these stories, and the religious themes of the first novel are amplified and explored in depth. These stories are very suspenseful, with plenty of heartstopping action to keep the pages turning,
but they are also thoughtful and heartwarming. I really cared about these characters and what was going to happen to them, and by the end of the third book I was still ready to hear more about them.

There is one more book in the series called Darkwing, but I read the description of it and it is not a sequel. Darkwing is set 65 million years ago and features new characters. Oppel is such a good fantasy writer, though, that I think we will also read this one when we get the chance.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home