Since I am going to lead an adult book club meeting next week, I decided to read a novel written for adults for a change. I chose to re-read one I had at home: Anne Perry's The Hyde Park Headsman. This is one of a series of mystery novels Perry has written about Thomas and Charlotte Pitt and set in late 19th-century London. Thomas has just been promoted to police superintendent when he is faced with solving a series of murders in which the victims have been beheaded and left near Hyde Park. This comes shortly after the "Jack the Ripper" crimes which have already created an atmosphere of fear in the city. Confidence in the police is not running high, by any means.

What I like about this series is that Charlotte and her sister Emily help Thomas to solve his cases (over his objections, of course, because of the danger). In this particular story their involvement really doesn't amount to much until the very end, so that was a little disappointing. Still, the story provided plenty of intrigue and 19th-century atmosphere to keep me happy.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home