The Prince of Underwhere, by Bruce Hale (of Chet Gecko fame), is the first half novel, half graphic novel I have seen. Twins Zeke and Stephanie, along with their neighbor Hector and Hector's cat, venture to the world of Underwhere, a place where people wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes. Potty humor abounds, including plenty of bad puns (starting with the title). Whenever the kids are in the real world, the book is written like a traditional novel, but the parts that take place in Underwhere are in graphic novel form. I read this book in one sitting and did laugh a few times, but it was not really my cup of tea. This is not to say that I object to this kind of silly humor -- I'm a huge Captain Underpants fan. It's just that this series has not yet shown the kind of originality of Dav Pilky's series. I think I'll read the other two in the series and decided how much I like the world of Underwhere then.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home