I don't read adult fiction much any more, but I never miss a Sue Grafton novel, and her latest, U is for Undertow, doesn't disappoint. In fact, I had forgotten what a really, really good writer she is. This story is told in alternating chapters, part set in 1988, with Kinsey investigating, and the other part set in 1967, when the crime took place. A man named Michael Sutton hires Kinsey to investigate because he has a kind of fuzzy memory of seeing two guys digging a hole and burying something when he was six years old. He thinks the incident may be connected to the kidnapping, and presumed death, of a little girl back in 1967. A subplot involving Kinsey's estranged family adds to the nostalgia, and both storylines come to what I thought were satisfying conclusions. I wonder what the title of her next book will be?

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home