After reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, I wanted to re-read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Twain is such a great humorist! I especially enjoyed the last part, with Tom Sawyer insisting that Jim and Huck go along with his elaborate plans for making an adventure out of freeing Jim. Oh, and the king and the duke are just too funny!

It's such a shame that this book has been so controversial. It seems to me that Twain, speaking through Huck's wise beyond his years, no-nonsense point of view, could not have made it clearer that Jim is a much better human being than just about anyone else in the book. Huck, too, sees beyond people's false fronts to their true character -- he quickly and easily sees the "king" and the "duke" for the frauds they really are. I think this is one of the best stories ever written.

1 comments:

"Tom Sawyer" and "Huck Finn" are two of the best American fiction titles ever written. I also loved his "The Prince and the Pauper". I read that one over and over again as a kid. I can't wait to read the newly published Mark Twain autobiography. It's sure to be entertaining!

November 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home