V is for Vengeance, Sue Grafton's latest entry into her alphabet-themed mystery series starring private detective Kinsey Millhone, roped me in immediately, as usual. I haven't read many novels written for an adult audience in the last several years, but Grafton's novels are always an exception to that rule. I dug out my paperback copy of A is for Alibi and discovered that book was copyrighted in 1982. The paperback edition that I have was printed in1987, so that probably means that I have been enjoying Grafton's series for over 24 years. Since she still has four more letters to go, I hope the streak will continue for some time to come.
Aside from the nostalgia factor, what keeps me coming back is that Grafton is simply a superb writer. Her novels are cleverly plotted, her characters fresh and original, and her stories both funny and exciting. Also, despite the crime-related theme to her series, I don't feel as though I have rolled around in blood and gore after finishing one of her books. I reviwed U is for Undertow in January 2010.

V is for Vengeance pits Kinsey against an organized crime ring that shoplifts from retail stores. Although the time differential that contributed so much to U is for Undertow (one story set in 1967, another in 1988) is missing here, the story follows a similar pattern, alternating chapters about Kinsey and her righteous quest to bring shoplifters to justice with sections detailing the marriage difficulties and social  hypocrisies of a wealthy couple. I really enjoyed the shades of gray Grafton uses to paint her characters. Even the mob boss, Dante, comes across as sympathetic, in his own way. I can't wait for W!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home