Soul Stealer


Soul Stealer, by Martin Booth, is the sequel to Doctor Illuminatus (see my March 28 post). I had high hopes that this novel would provide needed depth to the characterizations that felt so lightweight and unfinished in the last novel. Alas, I was disappointed. The story is interesting and the characters likeable; the book just left me dissatisfied, I suppose because it was simply too short. The author does a good job of setting up the conflict in the story, and I was intrigued by the historical information regarding alchemy, but then everything just gets worked out too easily, too quickly for my taste. The end of Soul Stealer leaves open the possibility of a third book, but it's been five years since its publication so I wonder if there will be another. I would not miss it if it never comes, I'm afraid.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home