Jacob Have I Loved, by Katherine Patterson, won the Newbery Medal in 1981. The title of the book is taken from a verse from the Bible in which God says, "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated" (Romans 9:13). Sara Louise, the main character, feels overshadowed all her life by her twin sister, Caroline. In her narrative, Sara Louise tells readers about the many ways in which she lost out to Caroline throughout her life.

I found this book depressing. Sara Louise does seem to find a place for herself near the end of the novel, but even then she doesn't really seem happy. While I read I kept expecting something positive to finally happen, but she just never gets a break when it comes to her sister. Caroline even marries Call, the boy who was Sara Louise's best friend! This is one of those books where I found myself wondering if it was really written for children, because Sara Louise seems so bitter and without hope. The heartache Sara Louise endures was just so unrelenting, the story wore me out. For me, there was just too little sunshine here.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home