Picture Perfect, by D. Anne Love, is narrated by 14-year-old Phoebe Trask, who is just starting high school. Her mother has taken a job with a beauty supply company, which would be fine if Mrs. Trask had not pretty much abandoned her family in favor of her job. Phoebe's mom is not just so busy that she seems never to be home; Mrs. Trask actually leaves home for months at a time pursuing her career, leaving her husband and kids to fend for themselves. Phoebe and her brother Zane are not at all happy about this state of affairs.

Then a beautiful and accomplished widow moves in next door and immediately hits it off with Mr. Trask. Phoebe and Zane suspect the worst, but of course the whole situation turns out to be more complicated than it seems.

This story interested me, but I don't know if I would recommend it. Some of the dialogue and events in the story struck me as unrealistic -- just a bit too scripted. I guess I just was never able to forget that I was reading a made-up story. Maybe I'll try reading another of this author's books and see if I like it any better.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home