Jinx


I had never read anything by prolific teen author Meg Cabot, so when I saw Jinx on the 2008 teens’ top 10 nominations list, I decided to read it. The heroine's real name is not Jinx but Jean, and she goes to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in New York City because of a mysterious stalker back home in Iowa. She believes bad luck has plagued her life and that she is unlikely to escape her grim fate any time soon. She also believes that she is a witch.
I can see why this book is so popular; I think that I would have just loved it when I was in high school. To the reader, the heroine's low self-esteem seems just silly, considering all that she has going for her. Jean is beautiful, smart, and gifted. She meets Zack, who lives next door, and convinces herself that he just wants to be friends with her, even though it is obvious to the reader that he really likes her. I think this idea that a young woman's negative perceptions about her own life are drastically mistaken -- and that she is really someone to be admired -- will resonate with a lot of teen girls.
Even so, as an adult reader I found the story rather predictable and shallow. I don't think I'll be picking up another Meg Cabot book any time soon.

2 comments:

Try Cabot's "Avalon High". It's a really great take on the King Arthur legend. I liked it a lot.

November 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM  

Thanks, Bekki, I'll try it.

November 27, 2008 at 7:03 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home